Bundle up and READ :)

I’ve been bouncing between books as of late, and I need to finally settle on one.  I have been desperately trying to really like The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud.  I don’t know why I have such a hard time with fantasy novels–some of them are amazing, while others put me to sleep.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Can anyone recommend a better fantasy novel?  I hate giving up on books…

I also started reading Beastly by Alex Flinn (same author as Breathing Underwater).  It’s pretty good, and I know I’ll finish it, but it’s simply not cutting it for me (right now).  So (YAers especially) what should I read instead?  Tell me about the books you’re reading 🙂

1. Hayden Garfield says:

I have the same problem with fantasy novels. Some really strike my interest but others bore me to death. I reccomend the book I showed you last week, “Hard Boiled Wonderland, and the End of the World” by Haruki Murakami. It is a science-fiction/fantasy novel. It is one of the few I’ve really started to enjoy.

2. Erin Bradley says:

I don’t do very well with most fantasy books. Usually I get confused or bored with them for whatever reason. I literally can’t think of a single fantasy book that I liked, which is disappointing. Let me know if you read a good. one. : ]

I’m not sure if the Mortal Instruments trilogy would fall under the fantasy category, but if it does, then I would STRONGLY recommend them. The story involves faeries and wizards and stuff, so I guess it is fantasy-ish.

3. Eric Paul Davis says:

Just try reading some HP

4. ABBY BOGIE says:

Hello. As of right now I am reading for YA Go Ask Alice by Anonymous. I just started it and I’m at the part where she goes over Jill’s house I’m pretty sure? I don’t understand at all what’s going on so maybe someone who has read it or you can tell me what is going on? I’m pretty sure they are doing drugs cause it says “oh looks like were going to need a babysitter.” At Jill’s party. I probably read the part 5 times and I still do not understand it. For my YA project I have gotten done with 2 of my 3 books I have read Crank by Ellen Hopkins and My Brother’s Keeper by Partricia McCormick and I loved them both but at the same time I felt really bad for finsihing them in less than 2 days each. (:

5. Well most of the books that I am reading, I’m assuming you already have read but the my favorite right now is This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen. I’ve only briefly started reading it and am already enjoying it. The first day when we had our book pass was when I became interested in it and then chose it for my project. My friend let me borrow a few of her books such as Lock and Key. She is a fan of Dessen as well.

I’m glad you already like it so much! Make sure to read Along for the Ride. It’s her newest book, and it has become one of my favorites by Dessen.

6. Corey Borowski says:

Just yesterday I started reading “Game” by Walter Dean Myers. So far it has been pretty good. It is about a black kid named Drew Lawson who is very good at basketball. He is trying to imporve his game in every way possible because he does not want to be just another kid from the hood who does not make anything of his talents. Some of his friends are not so passionate about the game and have been getting in trouble with other things, but Drew is trying not to make the wrong decisions and throw away his future. That is all I know so far, so I guess I have to finish reading to find out what exactly happens!

7. Nicole Westfall says:

Well, as we discussed in class, I am reading The Lovely Bones. I really want to go see the movie, but I know that it will spoil the book. I am thoroughly enjoying the book, and I hope the movie will be just a good. The reason I am waiting to watch the movie, is because usually the books are better than the movie and it will be easier to compare. I read Twilight and New Moon before seeing the movie and it was a lot better. Anyways, back to book, it’s about a girl (Susie) who gets raped and killed by Mr. Harvey. He then takes her to a sink hole and pays to put her in it. No one suspects anything except Susie’s father. He has his suspicions, but no true evidence. The police are the only ones Susie’s father has talked to. I am only half way through this book, but I would highly recommend reading it.

8. Emily Birmingham says:

Hii, Mrs. Andersen.

Right now I’m reading Burned by Ellen Hopkins. I absolutly love Ellen Hopkins. I think how she writes is amazing. I love how she writes in like a poem type. I read Crank and then Glass and i thought those books were both very good. Ellen talks about real things that teens can go through and how they have overcome challenges.

Crank was probably the best book i’ve read in a long time. The way Ellen talks about Kristinas life it makes you really feel her pain and just want the best for her. I just really hated how screwed up Kristina was and didn’t even care about Hunter through all of it.

I just don’t really like how Glass had ended with them just in jail. She didn’t explain what will happen to Hunter or the new baby. I wish she would have explained that and maybe went into if Kristina and Trey stay together and get out of jail.

Now im reading Burned and its pretty good im almost half-way through. I don’t understand what it is with Ellen Hopkin’s books but they draw me in. Once i start reading them I have a hard time putting them down.

I really want to read all of Ellen Hopkins books and I’m really looking forward to Impulse it sounds really good.

Are there any books that you would recommend? Because I really like the hardcore teen stories.

Hopkins is planning to write a third book about Kristina–Fallout. I don’t know when it comes out, but I’m certainly excited! If you’re on Facebook, you should add her as a friend. She’s working on a book called Perfect right now. This weekend I’ll think about some more edgy novels for you. I’m glad you like them!

9. Tiffanny Arnot says:

Right now I am reading “Crash into me”, I don’t remeber who wrote it. Its about these four kids who met online in a chat room about suicide, they make a pact to take a road trip and visit the various places where famous people commited suicide and at the end of the trip they will all kill themselves. The book tells all about the trip, where they go, who the hook up with, how they relate to one another, and their decision as to whether they will follow through with the pact or decide against it. Along with this it also includes the conversations that they had in the chat room, eventually showing why they attempted to commit suicide in the first place. It’s kind of a hard read, it gets a little boring a parts but its a pretty good book.

Why is it a hard read? It sounds interesting!

• Tiffanny Arnot says:

its not really that its hard to understand or anything its just really dry at some parts, after about the first two parts it really picks up though. I guess it just doesnt really have the whole, “i have to know what happens next” thing to it.

I understand what you mean. I hate it when I find books like that. I just bought The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian, and so far it doesn’t have any dragging moments 🙂

10. Jessica Rodgerson says:

As of right now I’m reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman for my project. I’m planning to read Deadline for one of my other books. But I’m clueless on the third book. After this project is complete I plan on reading more banned books. I like the idea that school &/or parents dont want you to read them. The books that are banned or been ammept to be banned are really some of the best books. Unwind so far is a really good book & I’m really into it. I like the authoer Neal Shusterman & i hoping to check out some book by Chris Crutcher =].

11. Victoria Bechtel says:

As of right now I’m reding Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson. This is for Young Adult Lit. I’m not that fair in to the book but so far its turning out good. I’m sure that many, many people have read this book and other ones form Laurie Halse Anderson. The other books that i am reading from her are Wintergirls, and Speak. Speak is actually required or used to be, to read it at CHS. I havent read it yet but it sounds really good. I havent read any books from Laurie Halse Anderson yet because I’ve never heard of her before. But i’m looking forward to reading the books i’ve chosen. =]

12. Alyssa McPeek says:

Hello, I have the same problemwith fantasybooks.Istartthem can finish them. I loved the Lord of the rings series they took for ever to read,but it was somthing me and my grandpa did together.He used to read them to me every night befor i went to bed when i stayed the nighted there. So as I got older i tried to read different fantasy booms,and they always bored me I had the same problem you did. But i finally found a book called Tith by Holly Black. It was another one that took me forever to start because i would just get so bored and never be able to finish three to fice pages! I would get so frustrated. But I made myself finsih and readon one day and I am so glad. It ended up being such a goodbook, it just took a longtime to get into. In the book This girl named Jessica hates her mother and moves out with her grandma, well she endes up being really sick getting headaches all the time, come to find out she met a man named Forney who had the same problem they were fairies. It sounds kindof stupid but it is really good. They go to a different land like wherewithches and other fantasy creatures are and have to fight in a war so that they do not take over the american world. But this book was my first and only fantasy book! =-)

I looked at Tithe today and it does look good. It sounds like it might be similar to The Mortal Instruments Trilogy by Cassandra Clare.

13. Edward Zaker says:

I’m also (re)reading the Amulet of Samarkand. I never finished it the first time around and just skipped to the Golem’s Eye. Doing so, however, left me rather confused, so, I’m going at the first again ¬ 3¬. Anyway, I’m trying to get my hands on Snow, Glass, Apples by Neil Gaiman and Howl’s Moving Castle by Diane Wyne Jones. Both seem interesting from what I’ve heard about them and I’ve also seen the film version of Howl’s Moving Castle. I enjoyed it. I plan on reading Stardust for my project as well. Mr. Gaiman seems to have quite a few interesting books, from my current vantage point.

14. Ammanda Centilli says:

For my first project book, I read Crank by Ellen Hopkins, which seems to be pretty popular. I agree with Emily in that I love the way she writes! Something about it being in poem, gives more emphasis on the emotion or something. I can’t quite put my finger on what exactly it is, but I really admire her work. I planned on doing Banned Books project, but now I really want to read more Ellen Hopkins! Is it okay if I do the banned book project with all books from the same author?

I think reading Hopkins’ books for the project will be fine. I think you need to research how many and which of her books have been removed from schools/libraries or have been subject to censorship attempts. I know some of her appearances have been cancelled, so you should look that up too. If you can, add her as a friend on Facebook b/c she has a lot of information there. Laurie Halse Anderson has a blog too, with some references to Hopkins as well. If you research this well enough, the project should turn out great!

15. Ammanda Centilli says:

And about the Fantasy novels… I’m with Erin! Maybe its the fact that it could never really happen? I’m not sure, but its pretty safe to say I would never pick up a fantasy book by choice. I guess I haven’t tried reading a variety of them, but even popular ones like Harry Potter, I just couldn’t get interested. I did love the movies, but to me fantasy makes a better movie than a book.

16. Victoria Bechtel says:

Well at first I was reading Laurie Halse Anderson but then I changed authors. So right now i am reading Blue is for Nightmares by Laurie Faria Stolarz. Its actually the first book of the series but i’m not going to read the rest of them. This book is for Young Adult Literature. I guess I would say that Blue is for Nightmares is an okay book.