Banned Books

I know some of you want to read books other students are not reading.  This project really requires some research because, honestly, isn’t there the possibility that many YA books could be banned?  If you are interested in a book, research it online to find out if attempts have been made to censor it.  Or, e-mail the author to find out.  But to help out, I found these titles online.  I’m sure I’ve already mentioned some of them before, but it doesn’t hurt to see them again.

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews
Deenie by Judy Blume
The Pigman by Paul Zindel
That Was Then, This is Now by S.E. Hinton
Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher
Deadline by Chris Crutcher
Lessons From a Dead Girl by Jo Knowles
The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
The Boy Book by E. Lockhart
Andromeda Klein and King Dork byFrank Portman
Eightball #22 by Daniel Clowes (graphic novel)
Sandpiper by Ellen Wittlinger
The Confessional by J.L Powers
Cut by Patricia McCormick
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers

I hope this helps!  I’ll update again later once I finish reading a book I received for Christmas 🙂  Actually, did any of you request and receive books for Christmas?

1. Mercedes Kaiser says:

okay so I went to that website you told me to go to and this is what I found…
    Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher
    Slot Machine by Chris Lynch
    Skin by Adrienne Maria Vrettos
    Life Size by Jenefer Shute
    I am an Artichoke by Lucy Frank
    Life in the Fat Lane by Cherie Bennett
    My Sisters Bones by Cathi Hanauer
    The Passion of Alice by Stephanie Grant
    Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

…and did you ever figure out who the author of Skinny was?
    and if you have any of these books please let me know

I have Wintergirls and Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. Skinny is by Ibi Kaslik. I’m going to ask some of my friends from Central if they know of any other books you could read. Also, reading books on weight issues is totally okay. I just wanted to check 🙂

• Mercedes Kaiser says:

So I read the reviews last night and I really want to read Skinny and I liked Big Fat Manifesto so I think I want to read those two and Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes. Finally, I have my three books!!!

2. Corey Borowski says:

I didn’t ask for, or receive any books for christmas but I am considering using one of my many gift cards to buy “The Lovely Bones”. Everyone keeps talking about how good of a book it is so I think I should just read it. And if I see the trailer for the movie on tv one more time I will go crazy, it is seriuosly on like every five minutes and it is the same thing every time. Just from watching the trailer I might not even have to read the book because I have what comes on tv almost memorized.

I know how you feel about the commercials lol. But believe me, there is still sooooo much you need to know 🙂

3. Eric "Spiderman" Davis says:

So I didn’t ask for any books for Christmas, but my grandma got me Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy. I don’t know if you would have read it or not…but my cousin said it is an extremely good book. I haven’t started it yet though.

My grandma has no idea who Tony Dungy is, but she read on the back that he won the Super Bowl so she decided that the book must be good lol

4. Sarah Ashley says:

Yes I recieved two books for Christmas. I got Twisted and New Moon. I did not know that The Boy book has been banned. I have that book, it was a good book. I think i know the 3rd book i am going to read for my project!!

5. cortney lewis says:

Thank you for this it really helps! I have had a hard time finding banned books.

6. Zach "Big Sexy" Hatfield says:

I read Flowers in The Attic by V.C. Andrew over break, it is a very good book and highly recommended. I have just started The Chosen One by Nicholas Sparks and its pretty good already. However for anyone looking for some Very sad books check out Suzannes Diary for Nicholas and The Choice by Nicholas Sparks. Also, James Patterson is my favorite AUTHOR!!!!!!

7. Shayne Harrington says:

I really hope you get online tonight because theres a good chance I wont be in your class tomorrow and I wanted to start this book over the weekend. If I am in there tomorrow, I guess I could ask you then But I requested a crap-ton of books from the library about a month ago and I’m just now getting some of them in. I just got Exit Here by Jason Myers in today, and I was wondering if it will fit in my project for banned books. I skimmed through it a little and it seems to me like it would be on the list but I wasnt sure.

Shayne, sorry I didn’t check my e-mail last night. I just tried looking up this book, but I can’t find anything about it being banned or someone making an attempt to ban it. I’ll keep checking. If I find anything this weekend, I’ll post it on here.