Hold Still by Nina LaCour

Considering all the books my students have been wanting to read, I didn’t ask for much more than books or book gift cards for Christmas.  Thankfully, I received two gift cards to Barnes and Noble and three different books for Christmas.  One of the books I asked for and received is Hold Still by Nina LaCour.  My brother bought me a copy, and my parents also bought me a copy!  At first I figured I’d just exchange one of them, until I read it.

I always have a hard time explaining why some books are so difficult for me to put down.  But every time I put this book back on the coffee table, I kept thinking about it.  It was like I put a good movie on a pause– I just wanted to start it again!  It starts with Caitlin being absolutely devastated over the death of her best friend, Ingrid.  Tragically, Ingrid committed suicide.  The book follows Caitlin as she returns to school and begins to put her life back together.  The hard part is that she discovers Ingrid’s journal under her bed and begins learning just how depressed Ingrid really was.

Yes, this book made my teary, but it is already one of my favorites.  I’d read it again, and for this reason I am so very happy I have two copies to put on my shelf.  🙂

1. I didn’t get any books for Christmas, but oh well what ya gonna do (play games and hang wit da homies).

2. Emily Birmingham says:

This book sounds really good. I really want to read it now. But i dont know why about im really into those like teen issue books after i read crank and glass im addicted. Are there any really good books like those that you would recommend?

I think you’d like this one, Emily. I also think you’d like Cut by Patricia McCormick. I’m trying to visualize my shelf to help you with some more titles, but I’ll have to think about it some more.

3. Tyler Richards says:

Dang , I should have read that one for my project . Oh well I guess their is still time left . Lol

You can still read it. Even if you don’t get to this trimester, there’s always next trimester! I’ll let you borrow it even if you’re not in one of my classes 🙂

4. Sarah Ashley says:

I want to read this book. It sounds really good. I love books that you can’t put down. Is this book like 13 Reasons Why. Like Caitlin is learning why her friend killed herself?

Caitlin is learing why Ingrid killed herself through a journal of Ingrid’s that she found. The bigger part of the book is about Caitlin dealing with it. It’s similar to Thirteen Reasons Why, but the format is different.

5. Nicole Westfall says:

This sounds very interesting. Especially after you talked about how much you loved it in class today. I have been making a book list of what I want to read. I’m up to 15 books. I have no idea how I will ever read all of them!

What’s on your list, Nicole? If you keep up this reading pace you’ll be surprised how many books you can read 🙂

6. Caitlyn Gairhan says:

I heard about this book from my sister and she said it was a really good book to read. After i get done reading my project books, i plan on reading this; because it sounds like something i would really enjoy.

I’m glad to hear it 🙂 Like I’ve said before, you can always borrow my books even if you’re not in one of my classes.