A little bit of this, and a little bit of that

First things first– are any of my YAers reading this during the summer?  I hope so! 🙂  I’ve been meaning to update, but I admit, I’ve been a slacker.  All of you (if any of you are reading this), can thank my professor for this update.  In my writing class we have to keep both an academic journal and a personal journal.  Thankfully, she is allowing me to use my blog as a personal journal.  So I’ll be updating more frequently (insert hopefully huge grins on all of your faces).

To begin– Heidi and Caroline requested that I start a discussion about the movie Eclipse.  I know it’s not a shocker to any of you that I saw it (Keith came too!).  While it stayed closer to the book than the previous movies, I left the theater thinking “That was it?”  Can any of you relate?  It was one of my favorite books in the saga, and yet, I didn’t enjoy the movie that much.  The battle scene was not nearly intense enough, for example.  I do appreciate the history behind Rosalie and Jasper; those who have not read the books can finally understand their unexplained behavior!  What are your thoughts on this?  Am I totally in left field right now?

Anywho, I’m tackling that massive pile of books I received through my Donors Choose fundraiser.  Since school ended I’ve read Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl, Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan, Graceling by Kristin Cashore and Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti.  I actually went out and bought Something Like Fate because I wanted a pure and simple girly book 🙂  I’m working on writing book reviews for Graceling and Will Grayson, Will Grayson; I’ll post them ASAP.  I can say right now that Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a super wonderful book and I hope Green and Levithan write many more books together.  I encourage all of you to read it as soon as you can!

Right now I’m half way through Fire by Kristin Cashore.  It’s the companion to Graceling, and quite honestly, it’s not nearly as good.  I need to finish it before I can better explain what it’s missing.  If it continues to be too difficult to read, I might put it aside and try Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.  What have you all been reading this summer?  You are reading, right?!

Don’t be shy; leave comments and generate some discussion 🙂

1. Joe pazz says:

I’m still reading manga (updated every friday) and books. I thought Eclipse was really good and i thought the fight scene was really good too, when it happened in the book I didn’t understand what was going on that well. I didn’t have the “that was it” feeling, it was more than I expected.

2. Caroline says:

Well, you already know what I think of Eclipse because it’s plastered all over your wall, but my favorite out of the books was definitaly Breaking Dawn. 🙂 So far I have read Wintergirls, Linger, and am finishing City of Bones. I’m thinking on going to get Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

3. I haven’t been reading your blog much because I actually forgot about it lol But now that I’m here I will be bookmarking it so I can keep up with it from now on. I have been reading Coldfire by Dean Koontz, Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner, and I’m reading Relentless by Dean Koontz right now, and I have recently bought The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, The Fallen (which I found out is very different from the book Fallen), and The Book of Awesome (which isn’t really a YA but it’s still fun to read about the little things in life that are awesome).

And about Eclipse, it did follow the book well and it ended exactly how it was supposed to. The fight was alright but it could have been more intense or longer or something. I’m not sure I liked how the vampires shattered like ice…even if it makes sense lol

Yeah I was surprised about the shattering effect. It does make sense, but it’s not how I pictured it at all.

• Me neither. and I just remembered that I bought The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks too lol I heard the movie isn’t like it at all but I still want to read it first

I haven’t seen the movie, but I love The Last Song as a book!

• Caroline says:

I went and saw that with KayLee, I didnt read the book but she did. She looked like she wanted to punch someone in almost every scene. I liked it, she didnt.

• Caroline says:

I didnt really like the shattering like ice either, thats not how i pictured it. They seemed dead after they shattered and I thought they were supposed to crawl back together or something.

• They did say that only fire can truly kill them, so i was wondering about that. . .would the pieces try to reassemble if left alone long enough? Hmmm

• Ellie, If you read in the Twilight books where Jacob’s tribe counsel are talking about their discovery of vampires (as they briefly discussed in the movie) they give description of how when the werewolves tore the vampires to pieces a hand jerked back into place reassembling itself.
          It’s been like two years since I have read them but somehow I remember that. lol. Left quite an impression. 🙂

4. Jason Laube says:

Well, to start off I haven’t been on here since the last time it was made a grade. But I am going to try to get on more. Hopefully to get me to read more. Ive finished the Will Graysonx2 (im to lazy right now i mean look its 830) and have to agree that the book was pretty fricken funny! also i am reading a book right now called A Dirty Job. Im on the 1st chapter. Overall,im hoping that getting on here seeing the classmates talking bout books will help me motivate for reading.

I hope you check this out more, Jason 🙂 If it encourages you to read more then I did my job! Let us know about the book you’re reading when you finish.

5. Eclipse. Well at least they kept the title of the movie the same as the book, but from what I hear they are going to making Breaking Dawn into two movies so I am wondering what they are going to title the last movie, but I digress…

Oh, and by the way! Thanks Mrs. Andersen for bringing up this topic! I digress further…

I heard the same thing that many of you are commenting about the battle scene—there wasn’t enough. However, I think the battle scenes they did show were amazing! I think we all just wanted more because it was extremely amazing.

I still cannot grow to like Kristen Stewart as the part of Bella. Most people seem to agree, except my cousin Nicholas who thinks she is an amazing actress…he obviously has not read the books. 😛
    Stewart is just a nuisance to my movie experience.

Oh and for those of you who LOVE or HATE the Twilight Saga movies you HAVE to check out this trailer that is coming out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHkPJ1ACLrg
    It is called Vampires Suck. I want to watch it so bad. I am sick of the hub-a-bub about Twilight and this trailer shows it as it is (don’t forget to watch the ending!)

Right Now I am re-reading a book I just purchased called Only the Good Spy Young. It is the fourth book in a series by Ally Carter. This is by far the best book in the series, but if you want to check them out go to allycarter.com and you can look at her blog and questions she has answered to her readers. Especially if you guys have any questions about writing your own book she covers alot of those questions.
    The books are about a girl named Cammie she is born into a spy family and it goes through the trials and missions she faces at her life in the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women. The thing about her school, people on the outside don’t realize how “exceptional” they are. It’s a school for spies-in-training. Carter grows as an author throughout her books and you can see them getting better and more suspenseful. Boys as well as girls will find this series to be very entertaining.

Well, that’s all I can think of right now, so there. 🙂

6. OH! And I read All the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss!
    AWESOME book!