Book Club Meeting

So peeps, we seriously need to get the ball rolling with our book club.  I know many of you would like to meet in person to talk books, but when and where?  Should be meet tomorrow afternoon (Saturday)?  Or would Sunday work better?  If we can’t meet up, could we decide on a day to hold a discussion through blogging?  I tried to get a discussion going before, but there wasn’t much activity.  Let me know what you think (leave some comments on here) 🙂

*UPDATE 8/21*
I posted on the FB page the idea of talking about the censorship issues going on in Humble, Texas.  Read my most recent post that includes a link to Laurie Halse Anderson’s blog where she offers her thoughts on this.  Here’s a quick link to my post.

1. I’m always going between my mom and dads house so I’ll probably keep up on the online discussions if I can’t make it to a meeting

2. I’m up for online or in person. I think it would be good to start off with a few online discussions just to kind of get it started. Maybe post it on facebook that we are having a discussion at a certain time at a w/e date.

Do you have a topic in mind?

• I kind of liked your first idea of what is our favorite YA novels. With that topic we can do a lot of mini topics. What we like about it, what we didn’t like, how has it affected or views on YA writing, and do we ever compare other books to that one. After looking at all of the responses from that first topic we can kind of see what people talked about more. Like if we talked about the themes of our favorite books or if a lot of favorites fit into one theme our next topic can be about books in that theme. Just an idea.

3. You referenced to us as “peeps”.
    I feel cool. 😛

Topic: writing styles.
    I just finished reading “When It Happens” by Susane Colasanti and it was good. I just feel like I kinda wasted my time on that story. Those statements kinda sound like they contradict each other, but that’s just my take.
    Anyways, in the book she would have written something like:
    He goes, “Blah blah blah”
    Usually, I read something like:
    He says, “Blah blah blah”
    Just interesting to me.
    She did a really good job going between the voices of Sara and Tobey too.
    That’s my spiel.

Yes, that’s something I’ve noticed about her writing style. She did the same thing in Something Like Fate. I enjoy her books, but sometimes I wonder if she’s trying to write at a simpler level. Or maybe she’s really done her job and has listened to how teens speak so she wrote it that way.

• I just read that too! I am not a huge fan of her writing style at all. It goes: so I say, “that’s stupid.” It was one of those books where it would have been good if the dialogue was a little different.

I agree. I could be wrong b/c it’s been a while since I read it, but I don’t think she wrote the dialogue that way all the time.

4. Mrs. Andersen says:

Katelyn- who is blogging now? I’d love to check out her blog! I’m really excited about this 😀

Katelyn, I can’t reply to our thread anymore lol. Yeah just make a comment or post on the book club wall. It’s open to anyone.

• Ok. But I got my best friend Kati Shumaker to do it. She loves to read like me! but her little link thing is

Aw cool! If you can’t get the post to work, I’ll go ahead and put it on the wall and then make a discussion post on here. Should I start it tonight since so many of us stay up late?

• maybe not tonight. I say post something on here and facebook saying tomorrow night. That way everyone has an advanced warning and can actually plan to stay up and be a part of the discussion

5. Mrs. Andersen says:

Okay cool. So you think we should try posting about our favorite novels and why? I’ll post it on FB and write up a blog post. I’m sure some ppl might post something tonight, but I’ll remind them that they can choose to receive email updates if someone replies to what they say.

• Yeah that should be good. Also put where the discussion would take place. Like here or Facebook or even on both. That way no one is confused